|Image Courtesy of http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/|
Whether it’s because you’ve had a bad case of insomnia lately or because you’ve had a sick child to take care of at home, you’re sleepy and you find yourself frequently nodding off at work.
Well since sleeping at work is considered unprofessional, here are a few ways that you can stay awake while at work!
1. Eat a healthy breakfast Studies show that people who eat breakfast not only lose weight faster, but breakfast keeps you alert and helps you to concentrate throughout the day. So be sure to have a healthy breakfast filled with carbohydrates and protein like whole grain toast with some fruit and scrambled tofu (or eggs if you eat them).
2. Take the stairs Don’t take the elevator, if you’re tired-wake yourself up by exercising. Run up and down the stairs, do some calf raises or even push ups if you’re able to do that. Exercise actually causes our bodies to wake up rather than feel more tired, so try exercise to wake up
3. Go easy at lunch time Eating too much food or foods that are very heavy at lunch can cause you to feel so relaxed that you’ll want to sleep. So instead of that baked macaroni, go for a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread
4. Keep it cool Being in a warm room means comfort and possibly sleepytime. So stay awake by keeping your area a little colder if you have the choice
5. Drink water Drinking water will help you to stay away because frequently people are actually tired simply because they are dehydrated. So stay hydrated by keeping a nice water bottle by your desk and drink away!
6. Walk around Even if your job requires that you sit all day, be sure to get up and walk around the office every 30 minutes or so. Take a bathroom break, get some water, make copies-but get your blood flowing and keep your mind alert by walking around
7. Get some sleep Something so simple and yet I should remind you! Get some sleep! Create a sleep routine and try to get to bed the same time every night so you can be alert and ready for the next day!
8. Avoid sugar It’s tempting to get the snicker bar in the vending machine to wake you up and truth be told, it will give you a quick sugar rush and cause you to be alert. However, there will be a crash that will make you feel worse than you did when you went for the candy bar. You will not only feel tired but you may feel sad, frustrated, impatient, and even angry. So skip the sugary snacks and grab an apple instead.