Staying safe is very important for women to consider since we can be the target of many crimes in various places.
We need to be careful to always be aware of our surroundings even if we’re at places we think are “safe” like the mall or in a parking lot at a major store. You never know what could happen so it’s smart to be aware.
Recently MyThirtySpot.com (one of my favorite blog sites) offered 14 tips on how to stay safe and I thought I could post a few of them here and you should go check out her blog to read the full article and learn how to be safe….
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body if you are close enough to use it.
2. Learned this from a tourist guide. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you. Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON’T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go.
AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR ,LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
5. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, Repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF!
Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you.If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
6. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
- Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor and in the back seat.
- If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
- Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
- When walking to your car, walk with purpose. Studies have shown that muggers will see that you are not an easy mark. You will also want to make sure you walk with one hand free. If both of your hands are full of bags, you will look like an easy target.
7. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)