God is nothing like man. He does not experience anger like we do. He doesn’t stay angry until we ask for forgiveness. He doesn’t ignore us until we repent. He doesn’t pretend like we don’t exist until we admit we’re wrong.
God does all the same things He asks you and me to do because they are right-not because He is playing a game and trying to control us.
So when He says to get over your anger quickly (Ephesians 4:26)-he is saying that’s what He does with us. He doesn’t stay angry with us when we offend Him.
When He says be slow to anger (Ecclesiastes 7:9), He is saying He is slow to anger.
When He says to be quick to forgive (Colossians 3:13), He is saying He is quick to forgive.
When He says be kind to our enemies and/or people who haven’t asked for forgiveness yet (Matthew 5:44), he is saying He is kind to our enemies-even when they haven’t even asked forgiveness.
Any bad thing that happens is a consequence of sin and our sinful choices-much like the laws of gravity-what must go up, must come down.
God, does not stay angry with us though and even when we don’t immediately ask for forgiveness for our behavior-He is not stewing in anger till we come to Him, because He tells us not to do that.
So what does God do? How does God behave towards us when we have not repented and we have not asked for forgiveness when we’ve offended Him?
- He blesses us (with friends, money, His presence, etc.)
- He continues to work on our character and help us to grow
- He patiently waits for us to learn and understand what we’re doing to Him
- He reminds us of our sins and that they aren’t helping us and are even causing us more problems
- He PURSUES us still
- He STILL spends time with us when we ask Him to be with us through prayer and Bible study
- He does not avoid us
- He still provides money, shelter, love, clothing, food, and even fun for us
- He still talks to us
- He still protects us
- He STILL advises us even if we don’t listen to Him
- He is Present!