Cats are awesome. For the last 27 years of my life (that’s my entire life for those of you who don’t know that), I have always had at least one cat.
I truly don’t know what my life would’ve looked like if I grew up without them. Not only did they make my childhood really fantastic but they also made me wise.
You see cats are pretty smart and they aren’t given enough credit. Yes, they can be moody sometimes but that’s part of their charm!
Currently I have two wonderful cats. Ansel who I’ve had for 11 years and Callie who I’ve had for almost 5. They are my boys, my babies. I throw them birthday parties (well small ones), give them treats regularly, and shower them with love and affection on holidays. I know, I’m crazy but you know what-I don’t rightly care. 🙂
Now you can’t just have cats without learning a few lessons from them, they are quiet wise. You may not think so but that’s probably because you don’t have a cat.
So here are 12 lessons I’ve learned from my two wonderful cats.
1. Naps Are Important. My cats take naps every single day. They never let ANYTHING come in between them and their sleep. So whatever happens, don’t forget to plomp yourself onto the ground and fall asleep. You’ll feel a whole lot better. Ok, so maybe you can’t take naps but the point is-don’t neglect your sleep!
2. It’s Ok To Want To Be Alone. Naturally, I LOVE to be around people, but you know even extroverts like to just ignore everyone and just be by ourselves from time to time. Don’t apologize for wanting that. Just go sit in a window somewhere-alone.
3. Get Sun Whenever You Can. Whenever my cats see the sun out, they immediately run to it and just lay under its toasty warmness. So get some Vitamin D and watch the stress and frustrations melt away.
4. Clean Up After Yourself. When cats use the litter, they don’t just leave their messes out in the open for anyone to see and smell. So if you made a mess, clean it up! Fix the problems in your life and make it better because when you leave problems out in the open, it will start to stink up the rest of your life and ruin your happiness.
5. Don’t Be Afraid To Get Help. Both my cats love to clean themselves but it can be hard to lick the top of your head, so sometimes Callie will walk up to Ansel and just rub his head against him so he’ll get the picture. The lesson is then, do not be afraid to get your friend to help you out and once they finish helping you out-be willing to offer a hand right back and help clean them up too!
6. Neediness Can Be Cool. If you want to cuddle or just need a hug-then don’t be afraid to just rub up against someone and get it! Alright so maybe I took that lesson to literal but you know what I mean! Don’t be afraid to get some love when you need it! Go and get that hug!
7. Try to Sneak Outside. I’m the type of owner that never lets my cats outside but it doesn’t stop them from trying. Sometimes our electronics can act like that, keeping us from going outside. So as soon as you see the door open-dart outside quickly before your tv, laptop, etc. can catch you!
8. Meow Loudly. Feeling feisty? Just want to be loud for no reason? Then be loud! Express yourself and have fun!
9. If you gain weight let others enjoy your fluffiness and don’t pay any mind to mean people. You’re cute and that’s that.
10. Scratch People When They Aggravate You. Ok ok, maybe you shouldn’t go around doing this BUT if you feel upset, be assertive and let people know. Be fair and responsible but be real about your needs.
11. Play sometimes. See a ball of yarn? Three words: go.to.town. 🙂 No matter how old you are, prioritize your fun and make sure you make time for it.
And lastly but most importantly…
12. Live a little. Have the catnip. Whatever this means to you-is what it means. 🙂
- A Cat Person’s Guide to Dating (catster.com)
- 5 Life Lessons I’ve Learned From My Cat Bob (toddlohenry.com)